ceturtdiena, 2010. gada 30. decembris

Video games, motherfucker! BEST OF 2010 EDITION! and misc. achievments

SHINY COIN WITH A HOLE IN THE MIDDLE WITH A STRING TIED TO IT, DANGLED IN FRONT OF A 5 YEAR OLD AWARD FOR BEST GRAPHICS (oh god I sound like such a douche) :
Final Fantasy XIII! I can talk shit about the linearity all night, but I do also think this game had the best graphics out of any game I played. The graphics are really what they promised in the trailers, which is where Gran Turismo 5 failed to deliver. But also since this game doesn't feature any hyperrealistic grime like most of the things that the west shits out.
Runners up : Vanquish, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Naruto Shipuuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 (which would win if it was BEST CELL SHADING).

''FUCK YES, THIS IS AWESOME'' AWARD FOR BEST GAMEPLAY :
VANQUISH! Vanquish is probably my favorite single player shooter this generation, providing me 6 hours of pure balls to the wall action that was fun and made me better at video games. I never expected to enjoy bullet time ever again but this game made it fresh again, and made it a core mechanic that makes this game super fucking awesome, man.
Runners up : Bayonetta, Pac Man Championship Edition DX

'' AWW YEAH, TURN THAT SHIT UP, BRO'' AWARD FOR BEST MUSIC
And the winner is... noone!
There are a few soundtracks I liked, like Bayonetta's, FFXIII's, Scott Pilgrim and even Fist Of The North Star Ken's Rage had pretty cool. But none of those I would rank as high as I rate, say... Guilty Gear XX... Now maybe I should nominate Panty and Stocking's music?
WAIT
NO
I GOT IT!
SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2! You deserve it, my friend.

''DOGG, SHE WAS WEARING PADS THE WHOLE TIME AND IS ACTUALLY FLAT AS A BOARD'' AWARD FOR MOST DISSAPOINTING GAME
LOST PLANET 2. Okay then, this game was just a letdown. It's, once again, not unplayable, but also not very good. If I can get people to play it with me, it's kind of fun, but alone I refuse to play it, since alone is just sucks analbarf out of a colostomy bag.
Runners up : FFXIII and Gran Turismo 5

''DIGITAL IS TOTALLY THE FUTURE, DAWG'' AWARD FOR BEST DOWNLOADABLE GAME
PAC-MAN CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION DX!
I really have to thank GiantBomb for showing me this game, since the concept of a new Pac Man is like ''what? I can play that on flash, what's the big deal?'', but no. This game reinvented Pac-Man in to a game that makes me feel like I'm tripping balls while hooked up to an IV of caffine.
There's just something oh so satisfying of having a ghost train of 30 ghosts follow you, and then devour them with a power pellet, and how the game becomes faster and faster, and the point count higher and higher as Pac Man eats more and more ghosts in a way that makes me wish it won't stop.
Nonbelievers! Try this game! You'll thank me after that.
Runners up : Super Meat Boy (which I'm not good enough for), Worms Reloaded, Beat Hazzard and the list goes on and on

''VISIONS ARE WORTH FIGHTING FOR, ED WOOD'' AWARD FOR MOST AMBITIOUS GAME DESPITE LIMITATIONS
DEADLY PREMONITION! Okay I might be cheating since I didn't actually play this game, but I did watch the Giant Bomb crew play it start to finish so I guess my point is still kind of valid.
They main asthetics of this game are pretty B-grade. The Dreamcast-level graphics (in the year 2010), the gameplay which copies better games but fails to reach that level of quality. The not so memorable soundtrack, minus, the acoustic track Life Is Beutiful, which I whistle sometimes.
But where this game excells would be it's story, characters and the fact that this game had some ambition to be something more than just another budget title. I daresay the director, Swery 65, who is a poor man's Suda 51 in every sense, had more ambition with this game than any developer working under Activision (blame Bobby).
In fact, I think the protagonist, Franics York Morgan, is the best new character of 2010.
The plot of the game is very much a tribute to Twin Peaks, but is also somewhat remniscent of Shutter Island.
By the end I was invested in the story and it's characters, something that games like Red Dead Redemption, Final Fantasy XIII and certainly not Blops could do.

''TELL ME A STORY, MR.GAME!'' AWARD FOR PLOTS I GAVE A SHIT ABOUT
ACE ATTORNEY INVESTIGATIONS : MILES EDGEWORTH
Okay again it might be cheating since this is a game that's like one step above a VN. However, the Ace Attorney universe is full of interesting characters, and the detective aspect of the game is genuinely interesting and the plot was well written.
Runners up : Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, maybe Yakuza 3

''GAME I THINK IS COOL AS FUCK'' AWARD FOR BEST GAME
Assassin's Creed wins again, and if there's Assassin's Creed III next year then it'll be a hat trick. As much as I love Yakuza and am addicted to Pac Man, Assassin's Creed is my favorite.
Runners up : Yakuza 3, Dead Rising 2, Vanquish

THE ''NOT REALLY AN AWARD'' AWARD FOR GAMES I SHOULD PROBABLY GET AROUND TO PLAYING
So I have not touched my Wii for more than a year but maybe I should dust it off.
Wii games : No More Heroes 2, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Tatsunoko VS Capcom
PS3 games : Demon's Souls, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Blazblue Continuum Shift. God Of War III

TUNE BACK IN SOMETIME LATER FOR TOP 10 ANTICIPATED GAMES FOR 2011

JIKAI MO, TANOSHIMINI!

1 komentārs: